If you have been stung by a honey bee, you may have local inflammation, swelling and pain at the site. If you reaction is local and you are not experiencing any severe symptoms, such as trouble breathing or a rash all over your body, use the following home remedy to treat the sting and alleviate your pain.
Step 1: Remove The Stinger
When a honey bee stings you, it leaves its stinger in your skin and the stinger continues to pump in poison. Because of this, the first thing you need to do is remove the stinger. This can be done using a credit card and a pair of tweezers.
First, look at the stinger to determine the direction of entry. Then, lay the credit card on your skin in the opposite direction, and scrape it towards the stinger to dislodge it. You may have to do this a couple of times, depending on how deep the stinger is embedded.
Once you have enough of the stinger sticking out, use the tweezers to pull it out, taking care not to squeeze the venom sack (and inadvertently inject yourself with more bee venom). Try to do so in the direction it is laying to keep the barb at the end of the stinger from tearing more of your skin.
Step 2: Apply A Peppermint Oil And Baking Soda Paste
Next, apply a paste made from baking soda and peppermint oil to treat the sting and your symptoms. The baking soda helps pull out the poison, while the peppermint oil helps relieve the pain by numbing the area and reducing the swelling and inflammation around the sting site.
To make the paste, mix together a teaspoon of baking soda with five drops of peppermint oil. The paste should be slightly runny. If not, add another drop of peppermint oil and mix it in. Repeat until you have the right consistency.
Dip a cotton swab into the paste, then apply a thick coat directly onto the sting, as well as the surrounding skin. Leave the paste on until it dries completely, then rinse it off with warm water.
Using the above remedy as soon as possible after being stung by a honey bee can help reduce any swelling or pain you may have. However, if you start having a severe reaction or know you have a stinging insect allergy, seek medical help immediately to avoid serious complications, such as anaphylactic shock.Share
1 March 2016
When my daughter began having academic problems in school and acting out, I knew that something wasn’t right. Her teachers wanted me to put her on ADD medications, but I didn’t think that that was the right course for us. I had serious doubts that ADD was what was causing her problems. I took her to several different specialists before discovering that her issues in school were actually do to a visual processing problem. The doctor recommended vision therapy, not medication, to help correct the problem and get her back on track. The exercises are really starting to pay off, and she’s showing great improvement.